(Fredericton, NB) Theatre New Brunswick (TNB) is one of Canada’s leading regional theatre companies with a half-century legacy of bringing the best of Canadian and world theatre to our province. TNB offers extraordinary theatre, celebrates New Brunswick’s best talent and content and offers outstanding training and performance. The company is composed of three branches: a professional season of theatre (at The Playhouse and The Open Space Theatre), educational programming through TNB Theatre School and the TNB Young Company of emerging artists who tour to schools across New Brunswick.
Reporting to the Board of Governors, the Artistic Director is responsible for enhancing the company’s mission with artistic vision that inspires renewal, excitement and growth. Working with the General Manager, the Artistic Director ensures all programming meets operational and strategic objectives. The position also has responsibility for long-term planning and communications, audience development, community relations, advocacy, grant preparation, and fund raising.
TNB has an annual operating budget in excess $900,000, with reserve funds and an endowment. TNB receives funding from all three levels of government (Canada Council, Province of New Brunswick, and the City of Fredericton). TNB is a PACT company working with associations across the disciplines including Canadian Actors Equity Association, Playwrights Guild of Canada and Associated Designers of Canada.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Strategic short and long term planning that provides visionary and inspirational artistic leadership to the Theatre;
- Selecting seasons of entertaining, inspiring and challenging plays that fulfill TNB’s mandate;
- Direct professional productions both on The Playhouse stage and The Open Space Theatre stage; hiring guest directors when necessary
- Promoting TNB both within the community, as well as provincially, and nationally to build new relationships for the Company;
- Working in partnership with the General Manager to create and foster a positive and effective theatre company;
- Collaborating on funding and donor development initiatives for the company as well as participating in the grant process;
- Collaborate on the annual budget development with a focus on the productions;
- Representing and speaking on behalf of Theater New Brunswick at fundraising events, media events, and other community events to promote awareness of the theatre;
- Sustaining or improving TNB’s current model.
Specific experience and skills include:
- A strong record of artistic achievement and directing professional theatre productions;
- A proven leader with vision, energy and commitment;
- Experience working in a theatre with a responsibility for both excellence in artistic production and financial results;
- A range of experience that demonstrates a pro-active and creative approach to engaging the community;
- Ability to motivate, inspire and collaborate with a team of staff, actors and volunteers in reaching goals and priorities;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- A high motivation to build and engage audiences, combined with an informed perspective on current audience trends and desires;
- Ability to build effective working relationships with artists, theatre industry colleagues, donors, board members, community leaders and funding agencies;
- A leadership approach that creates a positive, mutually supportive, working relationship between the artistic and administrative sides of the company;
Applications will be accepted in confidence from May 1st to June 1st, 2018. The ideal start date would be between October 1st and November 1st, 2018.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to:
Search Committee Chair
Theatre New Brunswick
C/O Julie Friddell
For more information about TNB: www.tnb.nb.ca